15 July 2005

 

4: My Dream Rewrite, Bob Dylan (sort of)

One of my friends has a somewhat nebulous sort of music project centered around himself called My Dream Rewrite, and it's definitely worth following. The power of the lyrics, to me, is incredible. That feeling may be slightly enhanced by the fact that I know, at least vaguely, what a lot of them are about, but I think it'll transfer.

He's got a few recordings bouncing around various places, two on purevolume, and a new song available through his blog, here. I love the new song. A lot. I've had it about as long as I've been listening to it, which is to say 15 minutes, and it is amazing.

In what may be the greatest single event in music history, nay, history itself, the Drive-Thru Records bands are doing a tribute album to Bob Dylan. Many of the tracks are available to preview free now, and when this album comes out I will be first in line for it, make no mistake.

Check out Listen to Bob Dylan at purevolume and I think you'll see what I mean. There are those who say that the very idea is sacrilege, but I think it's a fantastic way to bring the brilliance of Bob Dylan - lyrically and musically - to a new audience. Favorites for me include Jason Mraz's rendition of "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" and Something Corporate's take on "Just Like a Woman," but there's so much good here it's hard to pick any one song.

Comments:
I tried -- really, I did -- to give the Bob Dylan covers a chance. But, well, you know me... Dylan is like a god to me. I suppose it is a good way to get a younger audience into Dylan, if they haven't already heard him. And some of the songs are okay (it's hard for me not to conmpare them to the originals). Actually, they rather inspired me to start listening to my Bob Dylan cds, which can only be a good thing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?